Day Hike 2: Guess Road to Pump Station Access off Rivermont Road
Distance: 2.5 miles
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Camping: No
- Land managers: N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation
- Volunteer Task Force Leader: Fred Dietrich, email@example.com
- Piggyback trail: Laurel Bluffs Trail
- Connecting trails: Pump Station Trail (1.5-mile loop at western end)
- Trailhead/access: Eno River Association headquarters on Guess Road and Pump Station Access off Rivermont Road. The latter is an access operated by Eno River State Park and has official hours of 8 a.m. until sunset; there is no overnight parking. At Guess Road park behind the Eno River Association office (the red brick house on the north bank of the Eno); parking is at your own risk. Click on the map below for more detail.
The eastern trailhead is a little sketchy. From the Eno River Association headquarters off Guess Road the MST goes under the four-lane (five if you count mid-road turn lane) urban road, then surfaces to cross the bridge. Once across, a stairway quickly escorts you back down to the river.
The trail follows an old mill race and and passes the remains of a dam decommissioned long-ago. You hike through floodplain for a short bit, then encounter the quick but mellow up-and-down common to the Eno River Valley. Tempting neighborhood trails beckon; keep your eye on the white blaze.
You’ll come up to a utility easement clearing near the end, follow it down to the river and continue upstream Shortly, you’ll have the option of continuing to the right on the MST or veering left on a 0.2-mile connector to roadside parking for the Pump Station Access. Continue on the MST and shortly you’ll be treated to the brick remains of the old water pumping station for which this area is named. Proceed with caution; this is a rare spot where access remains open to an entertaining (and potentially dangerous) piece of the past.
Day Hike 2 Map
Click on the link below the Google map to open it up in a larger version which includes definition of the map symbols, hiking notes, and an interactive option for driving to the trailheads. Note: state park boundaries are not accurate.
View MST / Eno River / Section 2 in a larger map
Finding Your Way
|Finding Your Way (east » west)||Cumulative Mileage||Mileage Between Points|
|Trailhead: Eno River Association headquarters, 4400 Guess Road, Durham (cross Guess Road, cross bridge, descend stairs immediately, R; proceed upstream)||0.0||0.0|
|Trail in from left, go R||1.0||0.6|
|Small waterfall, L||1.5||0.5|
|Cleared area (underground cable right-of-way), trail goes R, toward river||2.2||0.7|
|Trailhead: Trail Ts: MST continues R, to Pump Station trailhead L||2.5||0.3|